In this update:
- Canberra goes live with new public sector Information Office
- Protecting your Integrity Abroad
- Coming Event – TI Australia AGM – 9 December 2010, 5.30pm
- Latest TI Australia Newsletter – December 2010
Canberra goes live with new public sector Information Office
In an article titled ‘Sweeping Away the Culture of Secrecy’, Minister Brendan O?Connor, MHR, Minister for Home Affairs, celebrates the effective start of the 2010 legislative overhaul and the underlying principles of Freedom of Information, a key area of reform. The structure includes important appointments: an Information Commissioner, Professor John McMillan AO, supported by Privacy Commissioner, Timothy Pilgrim, and the new FOI Commissioner, Dr James Popple. For more information see Office of the Australian Information Commissioner website.
Protecting your Integrity Abroad
The November 2010 issue of ‘Keeping Good Companies’, the journal of the Corporate Secretaries Association, includes an article by TI Australia’s Executive Director, Michael Ahrens, which focuses on a set of risks in doing business abroad. Some companies going offshore may not be adequately prepared for these risks. The article covers what they need to understand in order to counter corruption.
Coming Event – TI Australia AGM – 9 December 2010, 5.30pm
Following the AGM in Sydney, the keynote speaker will be Prof. A. J. Brown of Griffith University, a Director of TI Australia. Prof. Brown led an interdisciplinary national team of researchers from four universities to complete Australia’s first national integrity system assessment. A. J. Brown was also the project leader on the ‘Whistling While They Work’ project where he designed and led the world’s largest multidisciplinary whistleblowing research project. He is currently writing a biography of Justice Michael Kirby AC.
Latest TI Australia Newsletter – December 2010
- ICAC Report on Reducing Corruption Risks Involving Lobbying
- TI and the Pakistan floods
- International Anti-Corruption Conference in Bangkok
- TI Annual Meeting – a personal perspective
- US Judicial Scandal
- New TI Australia Board Members – Roger Gyles AO QC & Prof A J Brown
- ACLEI Report